Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Bless Their Hearts

Well, I won't be getting the Mother of the Year Award again this year (remember the broken arm of 2008?). Looks as if Reagan and Cooper have a slacker for a mom. First, Reagan's story...I got a call from school today around 10:45am saying Reagan had a fever of 100.7, she didn't have to go home, but she wasn't acting like herself, was a little pale and was asking for her mommy. I was riding with my manager today, so the thoughts are in my head ~ do I go get her or do I stay and work since I was out Monday because of the holiday & Tuesday with Greg's follow up appointment? Decisions, decisions... My manager was in the car (um, van) with me when the school called and he could tell that I was a little worried about Reagan and he told me to take him to his car and go get my baby if she was sick. Thank you John for being so understanding. I decide to call the doctor on the way to get Reagan and tell them that she's been going to the bathroom frequently lately, has had pain when going to the bathroom, hasn't been eating, complaining of her belly hurting, and now she has a fever. Except for the fever, this has been going on for about 4 or 5 days. If you know Reagan, you know she can be a little dramatic at times, and I thought this was just one of those times.

Not so much. When we get to the Dr. G's office, they discover she has a urinary tract infection that is about one of the worst he has ever seen in a child. Not only does she have to take an antibiotic, she has to get not one, but 2 shots right there in the office. And we have to go back to the doctor again in the morning for a follow up appointment...did I mention she was also dehydrated? He wants to check her out tomorrow just to be safe. Bless her heart!

The day started out just fine. Here's Reagan before school.
Before we go see the doctorAfter seeing the doctor and getting a shot in each thigh (which hurts so bad she couldn't walk)
Dr G's office gave her some ice cream for being such a brave girl ~ they sent one home for Cooper too
Ice cream is all she had to eat all day today

Now for Cooper's side of the story. Rewind to Thursday of last week. Being the mother of the year that I am, I was cooking Cooper a delicious dinner of frozen chicken nuggets and smiling potatoes. I take the food from the toaster oven to put it on his plate, but I forgot to close the toaster oven door ~ and I also forgot how far Cooper can now reach. He touches the door and whines a little bit, but I checked his fingers and didn't see any signs of redness or anything. I kiss his boo-boo and we eat dinner as usual, play as usual and bathe as usual. Didn't notice anything the rest of the week until Sunday after church when I'm wiping doughnut icing off his hands. I rubbed the palm of his hands and he let out a loud scream. When I looked at his hand, he had burns on 4 of his fingers at the joint where they meet the palm. Cooper still doesn't complain, so we put a little cream on it and move on. I mention this to Dr. G today while I'm there with Reagan and he prescribes a burn cream for Cooper. And Dr. G would like to see Cooper tomorrow just to check him out when I bring Reagan in for her follow up. Oh ~ he said he would be sure and have DSS there waiting for me~he's certain they'll have a few questions!

See the burns?

These burns are almost a week old and now he's picking off the scabs
Pray for my poor kids and their daddy!

No comments: